Did you know that anxiety and depression affect approx 20% of adults. Covid arrives, and a survey in March/April 2020 reported 62% and 50% of those surveyed were affected by anxiety and depression respectively.
So how can herbal medicine and lifestyle help? After doing a patient history of symptoms etc I would give you a Mood and Stress Questionnaire to complete. This gives a clearer picture of herbal combinations to prescribe.
Without going into enormous detail the following applies:
1. A specific magnesium formula is used based on your condition.It is not just magnesium. In times of high stress magnesium is excreted via the urine. Lack of magnesium adversely affects the neurotransmitters serotonin and acetylcholine with further stress ensuing.
2. Vitamin D3.Low levels are associated with anxiety and depression
4. Fish oils - Omega 3 fatty acids Decrease symptoms of anxiety and depression by reducing inflammation, lowering oxidative stress thus protecting neurons from breaking down.
5. Herbs - Passionflower excellent for stress/ anxiety and disrupted sleep
6. Saffron and turmeric - decreased depression by greater than 50% in people with major depressive disorder.
Lifestyle factors that increase anxiety and depression
- Inflammation lowering - strawberries
- Increasing neuronal plasticity - blueberries
- Anti oxidant - Resveratrol- Pinot noir has the highest level of resveratrol but you have to drink litres of it to obtain significant levels of resveratrol! Tablets are the best.
- Modulating the HPA axis- Green tea
There is a link between the composition of bugs in the gut to anxiety and depression.Poor composition leads to leaky gut and an impaired mucous membrane. Factors that adversely affect the bugs in the gut are chronic stress, low fibre diets and high alcohol consumption. Also, too many antibiotics in a life time.
To improve the gut flora fermented prebiotic foods such as keffir and sauerkraut are excellent and fibres such as slippery elm and various gums. They ultimately decrease inflammatiion in the gut.
Studies show a large significant decrease in anxiety symptoms and a positive improvement in depressive symtoms.
Best results obtained doing 3 classes a week rather than just one. Need to do this for 8 weeks to get results. Incorporating meditation and spiritual connection will enhance results further.
The above content is a shortened version of a webinar I did on ' Freedom from the mind'
back to results
In this editiion of the newsletter I have included the following: A continuation of the gardening theme. Looking after your back whilst lifting heavy weights and sweeping and raking. All very useful as Xmas draws closer and we get stuck into beautifying the garden or balcony or tidying up the house for guests. On anxiety and depressiion through Covid and how lifestyle, herbal medicine and supplements can help.more newsletters